What is a learnership?
A Learnership is a work-based education and training programme that is linked to a qualification registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).Learnerships are occupationally directed programmes that consist of both structured theoretical learning and practical workplace experience.
What are the benefits of learnerships?
For the learner, learnerships:
- Provide easy access to learning;
- Increase access to employment opportunities;
- Assist in Career-Pathing and Self-development
- Provide a monthly stipend to learners while they learn;
- Lead to the acquisition of a formal qualification;
- Fast track the development of current employees; and
- Serve as an entrance into the industry for unemployed learners.
For the employer, learnerships provide:
- Skilled and experienced workers;
- Development of competent staff;
- Empowerment credentials and BB-BEE points for the company;
- Knowledgeable and competent employees who require less supervision;
- Improved workplace productivity and quality outcomes;
- A vehicle to address employment equity targets; and
- Help fill identified skills gaps.
For the Industry, learnerships help industry to:
- Become competitive in the global market;
- Build a pool of skilled, qualified & more professional workforce; and
- Develop their people to world-class standards.
Who participates in a learnership?
A learnership involves three main parties:
- The learner/s
- The training provider/s
- The Employer/s
How to apply for a learnership?
Although the SETA facilitates the recruitment and implementation of learnerships, the responsibility lies with the employer, the service provider and training provider to recruit learners. Our Learnerships are only based in Gauteng!
Do you have Matric and would like to obtain a nationally recognised qualification?
Do you have a Degree and are you looking for practical workplace experience?
What is an Internship?
An Internship is a programme designed to give University and FET College graduates an opportunity to extend their academic qualifications through structured workplace exposure and specialised training. Participants are placed on a full-time basis for a period of eight to twelve months in stakeholder companies and government organisations, the purpose of which is to provide the learner with workplace experience that builds on the qualification.
The MICT Seta utilises the concept of Internships to fast track high level skills, to offer needed work experience to unemployed graduates and to empower graduates with practical knowledge commensurate with their qualification.
In summary, an Internship focuses on practical training; the employer determines the duration and content of the Internship, so it can vary greatly; and the specific outcomes are not defined or regulated as in the case of Learnerships. Internships are ideal for graduates or those with tertiary qualifications but who lack experience. The primary benefit for the graduate learner includes obtaining “real world” workplace experience. Our Internship is national!
- To fast track high level skills;
- To offer unemployed graduates with needed work experience; and
- To empower graduates with practical knowledge levelling with qualifications.